Haunted Locations Directory - United States
Choose a state to find a location or add a listing
Wayne Gordon House
The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, also known as the Wayne-Gordon House, is owned by the Girl Scouts of the USA, and is a popular historic house museum for the general public Girl Scout national center commonly known as "The Birthplace". The house was built in 1818 - 1821 for James Moore Wayne, then the mayor of Savannah. Wayne was appointed to fill an unexpired term in the US House of Representatives, and then to the US Supreme Court, taking him to live in Washington, DC. In 1831, Wayne sold the house to his niece Sarah Stites Gordon, and her husband William Washington Gordon I, the first of four generations of Gordons to live in the house. They were Juliette Gordon Low's grandparents. Juliette Low's parents, William Washington Gordon II and Eleanor Kinzie Gordon made major changes to the house in 1886, adding the fourth floor and the side piazza. Juliette Gordon Low was married in 1886, and spent much of the rest of her life living in England, though visiting her parents and other family and friends in New York, New Jersey and Savannah every year. As a restless and energetic widow in 1911, Juliette Gordon Low met Robert Baden Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts. He recruited her to become involved in the Girl Guides, and in 1912 she returned home to Savannah to start the movement in the US. While staying in her parents home, she telephoned her cousin, Nina Anderson Pape, saying, "Come right over! I've got something for the girls of Savannah, and all America, and all the world, and we're going to start it tonight." She recruited girls all over town, on the steps of churches and the synagogue, from her cousin Nina's students, and the daughters of friends and acquaintances. Juliette Low held elaborate teas in her mother's parlor, reputedly better than the tea her mother Eleanor Kinzie Gordon held for President Taft. [Wikipedia]
Open to the Public
Open to Investigations
Open for Public Contact
In 1818, Savannah Mayor James Moore Wayne (1790-1867) purchased a double house lot on the northeast corner of Bull and South Broad streets. The architect for the English Regency townhouse is unknown. The house constructed for Wayne, at a cost of $6500, consisted of a two-story, double town house over a raised basement. A double house has a center hall flanked by rooms on both sides, instead of the two rooms and side hall of a single house. Houses of this type were frequently contractor built from plan books without benefit of architects on site.
The Wayne Gordon House is more a love story than it is a haunted house story. Willie was said to have met Nellie when she rode down the banister in the Yale House. Now as many people know, these were things that girls never did back in the day, but Nellie was always pushing the boundaries of what a woman should or should not do. In 1858 they moved to the family home in the downtown district. It was a match made in heaven. They survived the Civil War together and in the 1910s they both died five years apart from each other. They were survived by many children. Nelly's sister-in-law was the first to report a ghost. When Nellie passed away the ghost of Willie was seen with a joyful expression on his face exiting her bedroom. The sound of footsteps have been heard all through the house. Nellie has been seen many a time in her robe at the table as well as many other various places in the house. Pianoforte is heard often enough too. The best part about these ghosts is that the feelings inside the house are not of fear and hate, what is there is love and comfort.
Be the first to review this listing!
You are now being logged in using your Facebook credentials