Haunted Locations Directory - United States
Choose a state to find a location or add a listing
The Carolina Theatre, originally billed as “The Showplace of the Carolinas,” opened on Halloween night in 1927 as a 2,200-seat vaudeville theater. Mayor Paul Lindley was issued the first ticket and joined opening night crowds in exclaiming over the glittering crystal chandeliers, gilded railings, marbled columns, and classical statues. The Carolina was considered to be the finest theater between Washington D.C. and Atlanta.
Open to the Public
Open to Investigations
Open for Public Contact
The most monumental structure of its type ever built in Greensboro, the Carolina’s terracotta façade is in a Greek temple design with its embellishments painted in bright greens, reds, and golds. Tall windows between the columns light the floors above the lobby, which were intended to be the regional headquarters of the Publix-Saenger Theater Corporation until the Depression struck. The Carolina was also the first commercial building in the state to be air conditioned. The opulent décor was designed to provide the ordinary citizen with an experience of sheer fantasy. Uniformed ushers greeted patrons passing through the vast and elegant lobby and under handsome archways into the auditorium where clouds were projected onto a sky-blue, domed ceiling above the ornamental columns and draperies reminiscent of a Greek amphitheatre. Even during the Depression, the cost for an evening of entertainment was affordable at $0.75 for an adult and $0.50 for a child. Operated as a part of the Keith Vaudeville chain, the Theatre’s early programs featured live performing acts, the Carolina Theatre Orchestra, the Carolina News newsreel, an audience sing-along, and a silent film accompanied by the impressive Robert Morton theatre pipe organ. Vaudeville’s days were numbered, however, with the introduction of sound in movies. In 1928, the Carolina became the first theater in the state to install the new Vitaphone speakers, and crowds flocked to see films five times daily. For the next 30 years, this Downtown movie palace was a hub of Greensboro nightlife. Continuing the trend, the Saturday morning Circle K Club was introduced after World War II and entertained a generation of local children.
There are many claims of activity at this location. Shadows are seen, noises are heard in the balcony sections along with visions of a woman who committed suicide. Objects get moved and some ghosts like to interact with guests of the theatre.
Be the first to review this listing!
You are now being logged in using your Facebook credentials